Hello, Friends! Did you know that sometimes even the Buttery Babe has a “no food in the house” moment. It does not occur frequently, but it has happened. That’s when I turn to this trusty recipe. By the way, the soup is great even when the fridge is bursting with food. It is just easy and yummy!
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound bag frozen peas
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- big pinch of kosher salt and plenty for freshly cracked black peppper
- Optional Garnishes: chopped herbs, pesto, creme fraiche, yogurt or sour cream, crispy shallots, croutons, crostini spread with goat cheese.
- In a four quart sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and soften for a few minutes – don’t brown.
- Add in the peas and give a good stir. Pour in the water and season with the sugar, salt and pepper. Bring the soup up to a bowl, then lower the heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat, let cool for 10 minutes, then puree with a an immersion or traditional blender.
Notes: If you have some extra or starting to wilt greens (spinach, lettuce, kale) this is the perfect place to hide them. Just add in with the peas.
I also like this soup chilled and served in an espresso cup for a fun started.