I love bread...it goes perfectly with butter! I keep a very active starter. If you do not have a starter, scroll all the way to the bottom for changes to the recipe.
300 grams Starter
550 grams Semolina Flour
125 grams Bread Flour
400 ml Water
25 grams kosher salt
- Fit your stand mixer with the dough hook. Mix the flours, starter and water in the mixer bowl, on low, for 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes. Add the salt and mix on low for 15 minutes.
- Take the bowl off of the mixer and remove the hook. Use a damp cloth to cover, and let rise on the counter for 1 hour. Punch the dough down and knead for 1 minute in the bowl. Cover again and let the dough rest for another 3 hours.
- Flour the work surface. Scoop dough onto the floured area and pat down into a circle; divide the dough in 2. Working with the first dough half, fold over the top ¼ and work around the dough folding in to be a ball. Rub the dough ball with flour and put into a floured proofing basket. Repeat with second dough.
- Cover the baskets and put in the fridge for 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven and bread stone to 500*. Remove the dough from the refrigerator when you turn the oven on. Let the oven preheat and the dough rise for 45 minutes. Remove the dough from the basket and place on a cornmeal dusted pizza peel or a piece of parchment. Slash as desired.
- Put the dough onto the baking stone (I bake one at a time.) Use a large metal bowl to cover the dough and trap the steam. Bake for 15 minutes with the bowl, carefully take the bowl off and bake for another 15 minutes. Bake the 2nd dough the same way.
- Let cool on a rack at least one hour before devouring.
*Substitutions for no sourdough starter: Add 150 grams bread flour, 150 ml water and 1 packet of active dry yeast to the original ingredients.