We love thick, hearty soups! This one uses Beef Salami (ok, it was leftover hot dogs in the video!) but feel free to leave it out or substitute a veggie sausage. Add more water if you don’t want your spoon to stand up in the bowl.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups brown lentils (1 pound)
- 1/2 pound Beef Salami or Hot Dogs (or veg sub.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 quarts water
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup dry tiny pasta (like shells or tubetti)
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium. Add in the celery, carrots and onion and saute for 5 minutes until the veggies start to soften. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in all the rest of the ingredients except for the tiny pasta. Be sure to season well with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil, lower to simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Take the cover off, give the soup a stir and taste it. Adjust seasoning if needed, and add water if needed. Bring back to a boil, stir in tiny pasta and simmer for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
You can also add a can of diced tomato or some chopped hearty greens to make the soup even more nutritious and delicious!