The recipe was originally Grandma Bert’s, but Aunt Sandy has perfected it. There is no holiday in our house without a giant bowl – or seven – of Cucumber Salad. Easy to make, tastier with time, and you can even pretend it is a vegetable!
- 12 Cucumbers – about 9 pounds
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 cups White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seed
- 2 Green Bell Peppers – thinly sliced
- 2 Red Onions – peeled, halved & thinly sliced
- Peel the cucumbers and slice thinly with a knife, mandoline or food processor. Place the cucumber slices in a colander set over a large bowl and mix in the kosher salt. Let sit 20 minutes to remove excess water.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, vinegar, celery seed & mustard seed until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the bell peppers, onions & cucumbers.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator. Let sit at least 2 hours and up to 2 weeks.
*The original recipe calls for 4 cups of sugar. I think it is a little too sweet.