Sometimes the quickest way to make something new is to throw in some leftovers. I made my favorite sandwich even more comforting and luxurious by adding a layer of leftover creamed spinach. So gooey. So good.
- 4 slices wheat or sourdough bread – something hearty but not more than 1/2 inch thick
- 4 ounces butter, room temp
- 4 ounces shredded cheese – Cheddar, Gruyere or Gouda are best
- 1/2 cup leftover creamed spinach
- Spread each slice of bread with a little under 1 tablespoon of butter, then flip 2 buttered slices upside down so the plain side is up.
- Place 1/4 of the shredded cheese on each of the plain side up slices, spreading the cheese evenly. Then top with 1/2 of the creamed spinach on each and the rest of the cheese.
- Top the sandwich with the remaining bread, butter side out.
- Heat a skillet (non-stick is best) over medium with 1/2 of the remaining butter. Carefully lay the sandwiches in the skillet, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Remove the lid, add the rest of the butter and flip the sandwiches. Cover and cook for 3 more minutes, until both sides are golden, brown and delicious and the cheese is melty.
- Remove the sandwiches to a plate or cutting board and let set for 1 minute before cutting in half and devouring. I think grilled cheese tastes best when cut on an angle!