Because nostalgia baking is the best!
- 1/2 cup Butter or Margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- (1) 20 oz can Sliced Apples, drained – NOT Apple Pie Filling
- 1/4 cup Cornflake Crumbs or Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375*. Get out an 8″ x 8″ Pyrex and pour about a tablespoon of the melted butter in the bottom. Tilt the pan to spread the butter around. You could use some non-stick spray if you wanted to make it less fun!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining melted butter, sugar, eggs, salt and cinnamon. When that is smooth, whisk in the flour, the fold in the drained apples.
- Pour the delicious batter into the Pyrex and gently smooth the top. Sprinkle with the crumbs. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 9 pieces – serve with Brisket or Turkey for a side – or – wait for it…top with Cinnamon or Dulce De Leche Ice Cream for dessert!
*Camera Girl always used Margarine and Cornflake Crumbs to make the kugel pareve, and always served as a side dish.
*To make this kugel modern, us 6 fresh apples cut into wedges each. The kugel will bake closer to an hour and have a firm apple texture instead of custardy throughout. It will still be delicious.