These delicious morsels are also known as Saigon Crepes or Sizzling Crepes. I have made the recipe vegan – feel free to substitute shredded chicken or shrimp for a more traditional take!
- 2 cups Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Corn Starch
- 1 can (13.5 oz) Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon ground Turmeric
- 2 Green Onions, sliced thin
- 8 oz Water
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Oil for Cooking
- Fried Tofu (or shredded cooked chicken, cooked shrimp) cut into 2″ x 1/2″ x 1/4″ slices
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 English Cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- Mint Leaves
- Lime Wedges
- Romaine or Boston Lettuce Leaves
The Dipping Sauce is a separate recipe.
- Put the Rice Flour, Corn Starch, Turmeric and a big pinch of Kosher salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Shake, Shake, Shake! the Coconut Milk – then open the can and pour into the dry ingredients. Add 1/2 cup of the water and whisk it all together. If the batter looks more pasty than liquid, add more water until it is a little thinner than regular pancake batter. Stir in the Green Onions.
- Cover the batter and let rest for at least 20 minutes. If you will be using it later in the day, pop the bowl in the fridge. Batter can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
- Let’s get cooking! Pour 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil into a 6″ non-stick skillet and heat over medium. Add about 6 fried tofu slices then 2 oz of the batter. Swirl the pan to coat the bottom with the batter. Top with a small handful of beansprouts. Cover and let cook a few minutes.
- Take the cover off and wiggle the crepe. It should be almost dry in the center. Flip the crepe, adding a little more oil if necessary. Cover again and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Repeat with all of your tofu and batter.
How to Eat this Deliciousness!
- Cut your crepe into 4 wedges. Hold a piece of lettuce in your left hand. Put a crepe piece on top.
- Garnish with cucumber, mint, sprouts and the sauce.
- Fold the lettuce like a taco.
- Take a giant bite and enjoy!