As you have probably figured out, I really love Asian food. The Bunny and I took three cooking classes when we were in Thailand. The fresh flavors always leave me happy and the constant play of crunchy, bright veggies and hot peppers is simply intriguing. The spring after we came home, I planted a ton of Thai veggies in my garden. The lawn man pulled out all of the Lemongrass because he thought that it was a weed – it is. A bird at one of the hot chilis and spit seeds out all over the garden – suddenly I had more bird’s eye chilis than I could eat in a lifetime! The Holy Basil and the Thai Sweet Basil did well, and have been planted on repeat ever since.
This simple slaw has no oil or mayo – I know, kinda weird for the Buttery Babe. It is super refreshing and great for a cookout, picnic or packed work lunch.
- 1/2 clove of Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Thai Bird’s Eye Chili, minced
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 Carrots, grated
- 2 Turnips, grated
- Fresh Mint and Thai Basil – 8 leaves each, finely sliced
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic, chili, sugar, vinegar and salt & pepper.
- Put the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss lightly. Add the dressing and toss again. This is best if it sits in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before eating.