This is the basic glazing method for any root veggie – turnips, carrots, parsnips, rutabegas. We love glazed veggies. Leftovers are a great base for an earthy lentil and veggie soup.
- 1 lb baby turnips, tops removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Clean the turnips under cold water. Cut off the green leafy tops and stems. Cut in half, stem to tip. We like the 2″ size best, but any size will do, just make sure that the pieces are all the same size.
- Add everything to a saute pan. Put the pan on a burner, turn the flame to high, cover and bring to a boil. When the liquid is boiling, lower to a simmer.
- After 10 minutes, move the lid so that the pan is partially covered, letting the liquid evaporate. 5 minutes later, most of the liquid should be gone.
- Poke a turnip with a knife. If the knife goes in smoothly, great. If there is resistance, add a bit more water and continue cooking.