Who wants the drama of puff pastry when you can drop that fatty goodness into a loaf of crusty sourdough? Three ingredients – brie, bread, jam. Five minutes of prep and 20 minutes of baking. Plenty of time for a cocktail with friends!
- 1 loaf Sourdough Boule
- 14 ounces (give or take) Double Creme Brie Cheese
- 8 oz fig jam (strawberry, apricot, plum or cranberry are also great!)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts or almonds – optional
- Preheat the oven to 375*
- Cut the top off of your bread and scoop out the middle. I usually make crostini out of the top to eat with the cheese, but crackers work just as well, and they are less work!
- Chop the brie, including the skin, into 1 inch chunks.
- Spread 1/3 of the jam into the bottom of the bread bowl, add half of the cheese. Repeat with remaining jam and cheese, ending with jam. If you are using nuts, layer those in as well. I like a few cranks of my trusty pepper mill to finish it off!
- Put the whole bread bowl and its delightful filling into a pie dish, slide into the oven and let it bake for about 20 minutes. The cheese will be ooey-gooey and the jam melted and crazy good. Let it sit for a few minutes so you don’t burn your mouth, then have at it!