The crunchy crust is a great counterpoint to the moist salmon. This date night dinner is also great served cold with a nice salad. Don’t like hazelnuts? Substitute with almonds, walnuts, pecans or some panko breadcrumbs.
- 2 – 8 ounce salmon fillets (we are good eaters…the standard 6 oz is fine!)
- 3 tablespoons mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- kosher salt, black pepper, squeeze of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450*
- In a small bowl mix the mayo, garlic, mustard and chopped rosemary with generous amounts of kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
- Rub the salmon flesh with a little olive oil and season generously with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Heat a pan over high heat. Add the butter and a squirt of olive oil. When the butter has melted, add the rosemary sprig. Then add the salmon, flesh side down. Cook over medium-high until well browned, about 3 minutes. Season the skin (or bottom, if skinless) with salt and pepper.
- Turn the flame off. Flip the salmon over. Use a spoon to spread the mayo mix over the salmon. Sprinkle with the hazelnuts and pop into the oven.
- Cook the salmon for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve. Discard the rosemary sprig.
Notes: If you want to serve this cold the next day, put the salmon on a baking sheet or plate and let cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic and chill until ready to enjoy!