Take your time – it will be worth every buttery mouthful.
- 10 tablespoons cold butter, cut in 1 tablespoon pieces
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small shallot, diced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- In a sauce pan, place the white wine, lemon juice, shallot and 1 tablespoon of butter. Put the pan on medium and cook until almost all of the liquid is gone.
- Lower the flame to low. Add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly. When a piece of butter is almost all melted, add the next piece. Slow and low is key here. Low flame, slow to add butter.
- When all of the butter has been whisked in add salt and pepper. Taste! Make sure there is enough seasoning. Add the chives and enjoy!