Not a true Pesto – this one is designed to fill the freezer at the end of the summer. It is nut-free and vegan – plus you can easily sub out the basil for Kale, Arugula, Spinach or anything else that you have too much of!
- 3 cups Basil – off the stem
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Garlic
- 1 Cup Olive Oil – not the good stuff
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- Put the basil, garlic and salt in the food processor. Let it go for about 10 seconds until the basil starts to be finely chopped.
- With the motor running, stream in the olive oil. The pesto will be thick.
- Freeze in small containers or ice cube trays. You can use right from frozen to finish tomato sauce or flavor pasta.
To make a more traditional, ready-to-go pesto, blend in 1/4 cup Pine Nuts and 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese with the Basil.